Saturday, 4 January 2014

Samsung tipped to launch new Nexus 10 tablet at CES next week

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5

Google Nexus 10 CES 2014

Samsung will reportedly announce a new version of the Nexus 10 CES 2014 in a few days, Digitimes says, without disclosing sources for its report. Samsung happens to be the manufacturer of the original Nexus 10 tablet that launched in late 2012, a device that’s currently out of stock with some U.S. retailers. Samsung’s new Nexus 10 is rumored to pack an AMOLED display. The South Korean Android device maker had been rumored back in late July to be working on the next-generation Nexus 10 tablet, although more recently, companies including Asus and LG have also been reported to make the device.
The recent rumors suggesting LG would make the next Nexus 10 turned out to be inaccurate, as the company ended up launching an LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition tablet version instead. However, the same Digitimes report says LG will unveil new tablet products in Las Vegas, alongside Asus and Lenovo, which will display new offerings of their own. Asus will reportedly showcase various new products featuring support for dual Windows 8.1 / Android operating systems, while Lenovo is said to announce a second-generation Yoga Android tablets.
Finally, the Taiwan-based publication says that Samsung will also unveil its new Exynos 6 mobile eight-core processor series that will feature 64-bit support. Samsung has already teased Exynos-related announcements for this year’s CES edition, and is rumored to unveil various additional tablet models, including a bigger 12.2-inch model. Interestingly though, these recent reports about unreleased Samsung tablets have not mentioned any details about the company developing a tablet for Google, let alone announcing one at the CES.

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Nokia Lumia 1520 Vs Nokia 808 PureView Camera Comparison


Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5




















Samsung NX30 Smart Camera adds flexible EVF and new S-line lenses

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5




Samsung has revealed a new smart camera, the Samsung NX30, running the company's SMART 3.0 software for easy uploads of its 20.3-megapixel images to Dropbox, Flickr, and social networks. Launching officially at CES 2014 next week, the NX30 has an APS-C CMOS sensor with Hybrid Auto Focus, up to 9fps continuous shooting, and an ISO 100-25600 range, along with both a 3-inch swiveling AMOLED display and a tilting 1024 x 768 electronic viewfinder. There are also two new lenses to go along with the new camera.
Unlike the new Galaxy Camera 2, the NX30 doesn't get full Android to run apps and such on. Still, there's WiFi b/g/n, email, and Direct Beam support for sending photos to other devices, along with automatic backup to the cloud, social networking, and Remote Viewfinder Pro for turning a nearby smartphone or tablet into a remote control for the camera.
Samsung has also added NFC for quickly transferring images between the NX30 and your smartphone, while the new Group Share feature can simultaneously share a picture with up to four nearby devices. Storage is via SD/SDHC/SDXC card.
As for the camera itself, there's up to a 1/8000s shutter speed, 1080/60p video recording, and both optical and digital image stabilization on offer. The 3.5mm microphone input works with a new audio level meter, with optional input level adjustment, and there's HDMI live streaming for up to 1080/30p video output via HDMI.
Compared to the NX20 of last April, the NX30 has a brighter preview display, while also adding an EVF. That can be tilted upward by up to 80-degrees, and automatically shuts off the AMOLED when you put your eye to it.
Alongside the NX30 come two new lenses, including a flagship 16-50mm F2.0-28 S ED OIS lens. Splash and dust-proof with its metal body, Samsung says it's extra-resilient for outdoor photography, and marks the start of a new "S" line of high-performance lenses. Secondly, there's the 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 Power Zoom ED OIS lens, the smallest wide-angle zoom Samsung has to offer for the NX range, while still including a motorized zoom.
Finally, there's a new flash, the SEF-580A, which has a posable head, 1/8000s reaction time, and can be used as a slave to the NX30's own in-built flash.
The Samsung NX30 will go on sale later in 2014, though pricing and specific availability have not yet been announced. We'll likely find out more at CES next week.

Jailbreaking' Apple devices creates business for hackers

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5


A man uses an iPhone in front of the Apple store in Hong Kong.

Each year, Apple releases a new version of the software running its iconic mobile devices, the iPhone and iPad. And each year, a small but dogged community of hackers sets out to break it - or, in the words of the hackers, "jailbreak" it.
The liberation imagery long seemed apt. Apple puts strict limits on how its devices can be used, requiring, for example, that all apps be bought through the company's lucrative iTunes store. By comparison, the hackers styled themselves as plucky hobbyists seeking freedom from what they derided as Apple's "walled garden" and into a promised land of virtually limitless new software.
That image has taken a beating in recent days as prominent hackers have battled allegations that they've been working not for ideals but for money. The supposed payoffs would have come from Chinese investors eager to cash in on the spread of Apple products in that country.
Although there's no evidence money changed hands, the controversy has highlighted how Apple's restrictions on its mobile devices have fuelled the creation of alternative marketplaces, where the thrill of trying to outsmart one of the world's richest companies mixes with at least the possibility of fat profits for those who succeed.
Advertisement 
"Anything that can open up a whole new line of sales on [Apple devices] is certainly worth a lot to somebody," said Brian Krebs, who covers internet security issues on his blog, KrebsOnSecurity. "If you jailbreak it, it means there are millions of more apps to sell."
Apps for mobile devices earned nearly $US27 billion in 2013 and are projected to earn more than $US76 billion in 2017, with Google's Android operating system and Apple's iOS platform the dominant players, according to Gartner, a research firm. Apple reported $US9.3 billion in revenue last year from its iTunes store, which sells apps along with music, movies and electronic books.
Among the key growth markets is China, where lower-priced Android devices have a large lead and Apple is working to make inroads. It announced a deal in December to offer the iPhone through China Mobile, the world's largest cellular carrier.
Apple's tightly controlled ecosystem has long been part of its appeal. Company founder Steve Jobs, who died in October 2011, obsessed over every detail of the user experience, with the goal of having hardware, software and online services working together seamlessly.
The tradeoff came in control for consumers. While Google's Android devices are made by many different manufacturers and can load apps from any store a user chooses, Apple makes it own products and rigorously oversees the apps available on iTunes, typically taking a 30 per cent cut from every sale and barring developers who do not comply with the company's many rules.
"Apple products are like beautiful crystal prisons," said Peter Eckersley, director of technology projects at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a civil liberties group. "Deviation from that is not allowed."
Jailbreaking can allow users of Apple mobile devices substantial new powers - for example, to fake their locations to defeat location tracking and service blackouts. It can allow free "tethering" so users can direct data streams from their iPhones to other devices without paying for a separate connection. And it can allow the use of alternative browsers that have privacy settings not available on Apple's Safari.
Advocates for the disabled, meanwhile, have sponsored a campaign to raise money in support of jailbreaking Apple's latest mobile device operating system, iOS 7, because iTunes does not offer some apps they find helpful.
Jailbreaking devices removes key security features. One of the few successful iPhone attacks - a prank virus that changed the background screen to an image of British pop star Rick Astley - spread on jailbroken devices.
"Apple's goal has always been to ensure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone, and we know that jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience," Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller said in a statement. "As we've said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably."
Jailbreaks and other types of hacks once were widely available for free, but the security vulnerabilities they rely on have become valuable commodities, in part because of the demand from government intelligence services, such as the National Security Agency.
The recent controversy flared when, a few days before Christmas, a hacker group called the "evad3rs" released the first publicly available jailbreaking tools for iOS 7. The tools also loaded a Chinese app store, called Taig, for devices that were set to use the Chinese language.
That move triggered swift backlash, with critics accusing the hackers of selling out their users in a secret deal with Taig, whose app store included some pirated material. There also were fears - apparently unfounded - that the Taig program somehow provided private user data to the Chinese company.
"We are very upset that despite our agreement and review by their team, piracy was found in the store. It was not acceptable and they have been strenuously working to resolve the problem in good faith," the evad3rs posted in a lengthy letter on their website. "We are sorry ... Taig will be pulled from the jailbreak if it cannot be resolved."
The evad3rs, who did not respond to requests for comment from The Post, soon pulled out of the deal with Taig. The hackers said in a second public letter: "There have been a lot of rumours listing various amounts we've been paid. We have received no monies from any group, including Taig."
Also a few days before Christmas, somebody posted online what appeared to be a surreptitiously recorded conversation between another hacker, named Geohot, and a middleman attempting to buy a separate set of iOS 7 jailbreak tools for $US350,000.
Although impossible to verify, the conversation appeared to take place before the evad3rs had released their jailbreak and was remarkably detailed, down to the tax consequences of the purported sale. The ultimate buyer, the unnamed middleman said on the recording, was a Chinese company.
Geohot, who did not respond to efforts to contact him, is George Hotz, a security researcher once sued by Sony for developing a hack into the PlayStation 3 gaming console. He acknowledged in a recent posting on his web page that he had been in a race with the evad3rs to release an iOS 7 jailbreak but denied that he struck a deal to sell it.
"Full disclosure time, I was working on a public, free of charge, china not involved, old school jailbreak with a few others. evad3rs released first," Hotz wrote.
He warned that both the jailbreaking tools released by the evad3rs and the ones he was developing relied on similar security weaknesses - often called "exploits" - that are now public. Companies typically close such loopholes once they are revealed.
In his note, Hotz said cryptically, "The exploits won't be usable next time. No more jailbreaks ever?"
But, analysts say, the incentives for jailbreaks are unlikely to diminish - for hackers, for investors and for users eager to break free of Apple's walled garden.
"The number one reason is that it gives you a feeling that you beat the system," said Gartner analyst Whit Andrews. "Anytime any organisation establishes stringent or rigid controls, it creates a social incentive to circumvent those controls."

Google Expected to Partner With Audi to Put Android in New Cars

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5

PHOTO: Google plans to announce a parternship with Audi at this years CES

First came the smartphones. Then came the tablets. But soon, Google will be taking its Android operating system and putting it in a much bigger package. The Wall Street Journal reports that Google plans to partner with Audi to develop Android-based software for new cars.
Ron Montoya, the consumer advice editor for Edmunds.com, said that the two companies had worked together before. "They already laid the foundation when they started to put Google Maps in the car," he told ABC News. "[The partnership] is sort of a natural evolution."
Karl Brauer, a senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book, adds that it's not just Audi's and Google's partnership evolving, but the car itself. "Even if you drive a lot, you still probably spend more time with your devices than with your car," he said. "The closer that they can make a car interface look like a phone interface, the more quickly you'll learn to use it and the more at ease you'll be."
The partnership is expected to be announced at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show, held from Jan. 7-10, 2014. Both Google and Audi declined to comment about the report. However, Audi's head of product strategy, Filip Brabec, told the Wall Street Journal that new vehicles will inevitably need an operating system to meet a customers' demand for apps.
Apple announced a similar development earlier this year with iOS in the Car, at their WWDC keynote in June. "It makes a number of the functions of the iPhone appear on the car's screen," said Montoya. "But it's still based on the phone, not on the vehicle."
For Brauer, the Audi deal is a sign of things to come. "The automobile industry usually moves at a snail's pace compared to the consumer electronics," he said. "I get the sense Apple, Google, and Microsoft as well, that all three of these companies are scrambling [for partnerships]." He added that if any one company is able to nab both GM and Toyota, its competitors will find it difficult to overcome.
For now, Brauer says that both Apple and Google are taking care not to display so much information at once that a driver ends up getting distracted. "It's a big balancing act, figuring out how much info do you feed the driver so that it's useful but not distracting," he said. But he adds that could all change when autonomous vehicles finally hit the road.
"When you have a car that can handle all the driving, what are you going to do behind the wheel?" said Brauer. "That balancing act will go away, and then you'll want as fast a connection and as much information in your car as you would your home or smartphone."

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Samsung launches 'Stay New' scheme to encourage Indians to upgrade their smartphone

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5

Apple_rival_samsung_635.jpg

To push its mobile sales, Samsung Monday launched a scheme under which customers can buy a phone on instalments and after six months upgrade to a new handset.
"We are targeting a significant number of new users joining the Samsung family. This not only offers an 18-month EMI programme but also an Easy Buy Back, which will help users upgrade to newer models," Samsung Mobiles and IT's Country Head Vineet Taneja said in a statement.
The smartphones covered under the 'Stay New' scheme are Galaxy Note 3Galaxy Note 2Samsung Galaxy S4Samsung Galaxy S4 MiniSamsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
The company has tied up with HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Citibank and Standard Chartered for this program.
Customers can buy any of these smartphones through these banks' credit card and avail of 18-month instalment scheme, at applicable interest rates.
The scheme will be rolled out in stores across the country from January 1 to March 31.
Ingram Micro, distributor of Samsung gadgets, has facilitated the buy back scheme for upgrading mobile device.
Under this scheme, users can sell their Samsung devices by calling up Ingram Micro within 6-12 months of purchase so as to upgrade their phones.

Snapchat, Vine, Candy Crush Saga among top smartphone apps of 2013

Cellcom
find my iphone
first iphone
samsung s4
iphone 5s
iphone 5s
iphone 5c
iphone 5

A study of global mobile Internet traffic found that the highest average data consumption was seen on Android phones.

Android smartphones are kind of like Hummers. Reminiscent of the oversize, gas-guzzling S.U.V.’s, Androids have the biggest screens and tend to use much more data than other types of smartphones, including iPhones. And that higher data usage could rack up heftier phone bills.
In a recent study, Ericsson, the networking company, found that global mobile Internet traffic varied greatly, depending on the software system and the network that a phone uses.
But the highest average data consumption was seen on Android phones, which consumed an average of 2.2 gigabytes of data a month on one network, the study said. By contrast, iPhones used roughly 1.7 gigabytes a month and Windows phones used approximately 1.4 gigabytes a month, Ericsson found.
Chetan Sharma, a telecom analyst who is a consultant for wireless carriers, also has found that Android phones were the biggest data hogs. In the United States, high-end Android phones used about 4 gigabytes a month on average this year, he said. That is well above the average of 1.2 gigabytes a month that American wireless subscribers consumed this year.
So why does Android use more data?
The reasons are multifold. The most obvious is that Android phones tend to have the largest screens, so they download bigger files and video with more pixels, Mr. Sharma said.
Another factor is that Android is less efficient at managing apps than Apple’s iOS. For instance, multiple Android apps may be running in the background with things like location data being collected, Mr. Sharma said. Also, Android users typically don’t upgrade their operating systems as frequently as iOS users, so their smartphones may not receive fixes improving data management, he said.
Jan Dawson, an independent telecom analyst who previously worked for Ovum, noted that the data traffic numbers may also reflect the profiles of the people who choose Android versus those who choose iPhones. People with larger Android phones are more likely to skip buying a tablet, whereas iPhone owners may be buying iPads and consuming a lot of content there.
Regardless of how much data whichever phone consumes, the greater concern is how difficult it is to monitor data usage, Mr. Dawson said. While the carriers provide tools for monitoring data usage, there is no easy and intuitive way to keep close track of the megabytes or gigabytes you’re using — no equivalent to a gas gauge to see how close you are to empty